[Welcome to Neil Patel readers! This post is one of the earliest on the blog and we still reference it regularly when promoting posts. They continue to help us grow our traffic at a rate that is still surprising to us. Enjoy!]
It’s tough to make a blog post go viral. There’s no secret sauce to make every post a hit. However, there are plenty of things you can do to increase your chances.
A great blog can be a huge asset to you – it feels great to make and can bring attention to what you’re doing. The problem is that if nobody sees your post it’s not useful to anybody besides you. There are tons of suggestions around the internet to drive traffic to your blog and most of them work to some extent. Most aren’t so effective. There’s really only one way to create a popular blog: creating great content that can change people’s lives for the better. It’s about putting yourself out there and making a connection. Corbett Barr says it best, “Write Epic Shit.” Content is indeed king but without a spark even the best content will lie dormant forever without anybody seeing it.
Before you post:
- Keyword optimize your post. Put your main topics into Google Keyword Tool and title the post based on the most popular search terms.
- Add pictures next to key items, it makes them carry more weight. Derek Halpbern of SocialTriggers has a GREAT post about using pictures in your posts.
- Re-read your post to check for errors.
After you post use these to get in as many brains as possible:
- Submit to Digg
- Submit to Reddit
- Submit to StumbleUpon
- Post on Forums in niche
- Submit to Yahoo Buzz
- Submit to Delicious
- Post to Twitter
- Post to Facebook
- Post to Myspace. Myspace is dead, long live Myspace.
- Post to Google +
- Post to YouTube (if applicable)
- Submit to Technorati
- Post to Pinterest (if applicable)
- Post to LinkedIn
- Provide SEO keywords for images
- Directory submissions
- RSS directory submits
- Forum comments
- Relevant blog comments
- Social bookmarking
- Refer to posts on Yahoo! Answers
- Refer to posts on LinkedIn
- Refer to posts on Quora
- Press releases
- Link to our own past AND future blog posts
- Add to your email signature
- Add to your signature in forums
- Add to your next newsletter
- Request other bloggers to mention your post
You don’t need to do all of these things every time but the more places your post goes the more eyes you’ll find. You will quickly see what is really working
Play with these ideas and let us know what you think. Do you have any other ways you like to get your content out into the world? Post below and let us know what works for you!